Saturday, October 23, 2010

Lucky 23: Birthday Edition: 1 to 5

So I see the candles going on the cake, one by one. And I'm counting in my head while I watch the candle holder count out loud. We are in unison as the number get higher and higher. Twenty-three. A half year wiser than the year before (I only start to grow 6 months into a new birthday). I mean whose to say I shouldn't take this year and take something from it. It's not the catchy numbers you see on birthday balloons, or on cards in glitter (21, 30, 50), but the number to still means something to me. Five years since I started voting, two years since I legally sipped on White Zif, ten year anniversary since I started putting pen to paper and mind to paper, and this time last year my father was alive and well. My lucky 23. 

1: We are what we eat: For the 23rd year in a row, food has won it's battle against me. Kinda like Me:0 Food: 23.9 (have to include how much I annoyed my mother for food for the first 9 months. Always hungry). Healthy meals just don't fill me! And I'm hearing it's all about shrinking the stomach and portion control, but it's going in one ear and out the other. But instead of punctuation marks or other symbols that they show on the cartoon version of someone who isn't listening, just imagine winglets going through the ears. Because that's what I'm doing. Food Food Food! It's the old age story that actually doesn't get old because it stays as young as 23.

2: Hip-Hop is not dead: This statement is a lot stronger than people are admitting. Not only is it not dead because the possibilities are endless with talent to match, but it's not dead because then that means it's over for Hip-Hop forever. Forever? Fore ever ever? Fore ever ever? Impossible. Working closer to the industry this year than last, I realized Hip-Hop is not dead. Maybe in a slumber/hibernation period. Or maybe it's lost and we can find it on some stomping ground for a measly $10 cover charge. Me and Hip-Hop were born around the same time, and I can't imagine setting up for it's funeral. The Immortal Genre.

3: Putting the ass in procrastination: We always here "The time is now". But the time isn't now because  the time clock started before you even started the sentence. Before now, way before now. No matter how strong the drive, sometimes it's just not easy to start going. Fear of the unknown comes into play, and that is not always an easy Xanax to swallow. It was only until this year that I realized, there will never be a "right time". There will always be something in the way or you putting something in the way to make excuses for immobility. "The time was the last birthday"

4: "I do.........n't really know": I have been anti-marriage (on a personal level, not nationwide, picket-sign level) for years. My reasoning was always for the bias, male centered, borderline discriminating traditions of marriage. But I just don't know anymore about me being the marriage nazi. It was fun while it lasted, but now I think I am re-evaluating the thought process. I still stand fully behind my reasonings, but I've started to wonder what I am doing for the movement (feminism) by not getting married. Whatever it is, it's not as much as I could be doing by making my own standard. The new age wife.

5: Politics:Either stand on the soap box or hide under it: With current events and politics it's important to either present a point with evidence or have nothing to say at all. The middle ground of semi-knowledge is useless. Knowing nothing or little to nothing is actually more creditible than attempting to pass your vague point off as anything. Some people dont follow politics. But some people follow it wherever it goes, wearing a blind fold and feeling only the braile of pop culture news. And then I hear "That's just my opinion", "According to my experience", etc etc. You are 1 of billions who think things. You thinking is irrelevant, but you knowing? Now you have my attention.

No comments: